Friday, January 28, 2011

Cloth Diapering!

After much discussion and research Justin and I have decided to go green with diapers! We are going to attempt and hopefully succeed in cloth diapering! We understand cloth diapering can be a lot of work but with proper care and patients, I believe we can do it! Not only is it green for the earth its green for our pockets! Yes, at first, upfront, to get started the cost is a lot more than anyone I think would want to spend on diapers. However after about 6 months of cloth diapering they will have paid for themselves and save us hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I actually did the math between cloth diapering Mason & Conner we can save about $1600 ($30 a box of diapers)! I think that number alone is enough to want to switch to cloth!

We (when I say we, I mean me) have been looking at all different brands and types as well as what we can afford and what is convenient for us. I have decided on doing pre-folds with covers. Pre-folds are not only are easy to clean and maintain (with proper care and wash), they are also the most affordable option. I have found two brands of covers we are going to use, Thirsties Duo Wraps (size 1 & 2) & Blueberry Diaper Coveralls (one size, 10-35+lbs.). And Thanks to Nicki's Diapers I was able to buy everything we need to get started!

The only thing I am not looking forward to is cleaning soiled cloth diapers. However I already clean my two year old soiled undies due to potty training so how much different can it be?! Plus by spending an extra $50 we can invest in a diaper sprayer that attaches directly to the toilet plumbing which helps spray away particles. Or we can just simply dunk the pre-folds into the toilet and wash/swish those particles away (good thing I keep my toilet fresh and clean).

This is defiantly a personal decision, one that Justin supports to the fullest! I really thought he was going to be fully against, tell me I was crazy but I was wrong! I am grateful he is supportive of this idea (just like many of my crazy ideas). Its an experience that I sort of, kind of, really can not wait to start!

More post to come on my cloth diapering experience! We plan on starting Mason with in the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...